Last updated on September 30, 2019
Balanga, the capital of Bataan, was formerly a village of Abucay before it was established as a mission of the Dominican Order in the Provincial Charter of April 21, 1714, and later declared a vicariate on April 18, 1739, under the patronage of Saint Joseph. Upon the establishment of Bataan as a separate province in 1754, Balanga was made its capital by General Pedro Manuel Arandia due to its favorable location, at the heart of the new territorial jurisdiction.
The word Balanga originates from the Kapampangan word “balañga” (clay pot, or “bang” in Tagalog), which the town used to produce and which were among the best that can be found in the country.
On December 30, 2000, Balanga was inaugurated as a City by the Republic Act 8984 authored by Congressman Enrique “Tet” Garcia.
The city has extended its urban fringe to the west of Roman Superhighway and a new growth center in Barangay Tuyo has been delineated in the Comprehensive Land Use Plan. During the past years, the city saw a high record of residential growth. Consequently, with the expansion of the physical limits of the urban core, as well as the expected large increases in population, and the city’s attractiveness to commercial and employment activities, the City Government of Balanga decided to undertake a Master Planning exercise and to propose various developmental projects that would establish Balanga as a well-planned community with quality and character that is innovative and special, although this is currently hindered by an unreliable electricity supply.