Last updated on September 30, 2019
The city was founded by Spanish missionaries in 1750. It was the oldest city in Misamis Oriental Province, even older than the province’s capital and economic hub, Cagayan de Oro, which was founded in 1871.
The term Gingoog originally came from the word “Hingoog”, which means “Goodluck”, from a Lumad tribe of Manobowho settled in the area. The word implies good fortune, thus Gingoog City means the City of Good Luck. The natives of this place are the ones with the family names of “Gingco”, and “Gingoyon”.
In 1957, the sitio of Binuangan was converted into a barrio known as Talisay.