Last updated on September 30, 2019
During the early part of the 18th century, adventurous settlers from Taal, northern Mindoro and southern Cavite were attracted to the vast plain near the shores of Balayan Bay because of its abundance in fish and other marine life. Salting and drying fish became their major occupation due to the great demand of salted and dried fish by the people of Cavite, Mindoro, Laguna and Batangas. People came in great numbers to join the settlers, and the village became populous. The place was first called Punta, meaning “point”. In 1818, the village of Punta was converted into one of the barrios of the Municipality of Taal. It was later renamed San Geronimo.
In 1858, the barrio of San Geronimo became officially known as Lemery.
In 1862, Lemery and its surrounding barrios were separated from the Municipality of Taal. It became a district municipality thru the efforts of Candida Cesario Valenzuela, Manuel Cabrera, Policarpio Mariño and Domingo Agoncillo. Jose Cabrera became the First Gobernadorcillo of the newly created town. For economic considerations, Lemery was again annexed to Taal in 1904. Finally by virtue of Executive Order 1549 of the Philippine Civil Commission, it became an independent municipality in 1907.