Last updated on September 30, 2019
A community was established in Mandaue by a flourishing group of Austronesian people. The Venetian chronicler Antonio Pigafetta wrote of a settlement called misspelled the place Mandani which existed in the area with a chieftain named Apanoaan[ some called him Lambuzzan in other accounts.
Mandaue natives were forced into a town as decreed by the Spanish authorities. This may have started off as a mission village (which included present day Consolacion, Liloan and Poro) serving as a bulwark for the church in the northern Cebu and was managed by the Jesuit in 1638 then a century later by the Recollects.
The Philippine revolution in 1898 gave the town a new form of administration in accordance with the organic decree of the Central Revolutionary Government. The short-lived revolution was overthrown by the American Troops and a battle nearly destroyed the town in 1901, killing Presidente Benito Ceniza.
Mandaue was a semi-autonomous functioning town. Semi-autonomous as it was still under the jurisdiction of Cebu. Despite having been developed and organized by the Spaniards through-out the ages and its population increasing as the years gone by, the Spaniards did not make an initiative to elevate the town into an independent municipality. It was only after the death of Presidente Ceniza and the establishment of American Rule in Mandaue that the dream of becoming an independent municipality came true. In 1901, Mandaue became an independent municipality.
Mandaue became independent from being an American Commonwealth and a Japanese garrison on July 4, 1946 along with the entire nation. Mandaue became a chartered city on August 30, 1969 and decades later it was recognized as an HUC (Highly Urbanized City) on February 15, 1991.