Last updated on September 30, 2019
Ortigas Center began as the 4,033-hectare “Hacienda de Mandaloyon”, an estate from the Augustinian Order. In the following years, there were several changes of partners. Then, on July 10, 1931, the company was incorporated “Ortigas, Madrigal y cia., S. en C.” as a limited partnership by shares (Spanish: sociedad comanditaria por acciones). The parties to the partnership were Francisco Ortigas (Don Paco), Vicente Madrigal, B.C.M. Johnston, Fulgencio Borromeo, Clyde A. Dewitt and Manuel L. Quezon.
When Ortigas & Company acquired the estate, it was a virtual wasteland. The vision of the management, headed by Atty. Francisco Ortigas Jr., who was President and Chairman at that time, turned it into a progressive industrial, commercial and residential urban complex.