Last updated on September 30, 2019
San Pedro de Tunasán became a town on January 18, 1725, when King Charles II of Spain decreed that the town formerly known as “Tabuko” be a separate town from “Kabullaw” (now known as the city of Cabuyao).
By virtue of the last will of Philip V of Spain, Rodriguez de Figueroa or “Don Esteban”, a group of Augustinian Fathers gained the ownership of the Tunasán Estate. Later on, San Pedro became an hacienda of Colegio de San José, a group of Jesuits friars who took over the property which now is known as “San Pedro Tunasán”. Tunasán literally means “a place where there is Tunás” (Nymphaea nouchali), a medicinal plant abundant on shoreline area.
During that period, agriculture, fishing, duck raising, fruit trees, and sampaguita were the main source of income of its residents. This period was highlighted by the growing tenant/landlord dispute. The tenants of Hacienda San Pedro Tunasán fought for their birthrights over their ancestral lands. This struggle took almost 423 years of unsuccessful resistance to Colegio de San José, and in 1938, the government bought the home sites of the San Pedro Tunasán Hacienda from the Colegio for re-sale to its tenants. This event laid to rest the tenants/landlord problem in the town.
In the year 1902, the name San Pedro de Tunasán was simplified to San Pedro.
From the Spanish time until after the Japanese occupation of the Philippines, the scenario did change a bit, when on August 30, 1954, beginning to the Philippine Commonwealth forces against the Japanese, President Ramón Magsaysay signed at the historic town plaza the Land Tenancy Act. By virtue of this law, farm lots of the hacienda were bought by the Philippine government to be sold at cost to the tenants or occupants of the farm lots in Bayan-Bayananunder the Narra Settlement Project of the Magsaysay Administration.